Saturday, July 28, 2007

Strike Therapy

I am inventing a new counseling theory called Strike Therapy. This is a collaborative effort with Aker, who will be the test subject. Here is how my awesome theory works:

Identify goals/need for change in life
Aid client in meeting those goals while promoting their independence to achieve on their own
Strike client when they do not follow through on the set goal

Aker got a crash course on this theory many times on the way back from WSU as I got to strike her many times. She was negatively reinforced due to not following through on a goal I set for her-doing dishes and laundry before playing Warcraft. As she will learn, it is better to reward yourself for accomplishing something then getting the reward for nothing. Further studies will be conducted on Aker so that the reliability and validity of this experiment can be determined. If anyone else would like to sign up as a subject (you know who you are!) please contact me!

4 comments:

crystal said...

Poppycock!

Let me say that I was an unwitting test subject (though modern therapists use the term "participant", unlike the nineteenth century reference above), because I was strapped in a seat belt driving his ass around town. I couldn't dodge the therapeutic strikes because I was like a rat in a cage. Call PETA!

Just a warning to all future subjects (because goddess forbid you be a participant in Strike Therapy): Eric subscribes to pre-Freudian techniques where patients are lobotomized and then euthanized if they don't respond to his strikes. Pretty soon I will not be able to think for myself (which is the antithesis of Eric's therapy), because I won't have a brain left.

Jason said...

"Strike Therapy" made me laugh pretty hard just now. I know some people who are in dire need of this new treatment and I will send them your way.

D B R said...

Hmm, interesting approach. But I wonder ... what if striking an individual is something they actually want? In other words, what if your negative conditioning is actually positive?

Yes, I know a few like this. I guess you'd have to reverse the psychology involved and pay them absolutely no attention whatsoever? Not sure. Fun topic to ponder though, thanks for the brain food! :)

Anonymous said...

I so need to use this on my husband, I am sure he would get seriously injured due to the amount of strikes it would take to get him to do the tasks, but that is a chance I am very willing to take...